The client required a trade monitoring platform to allow compliance users to investigate anomalies found in commercial transactions across global portfolios stored within various ETRM source systems.
The large trading organization had a broad trading focus with global operations and varying front/mid/back office processes supported by multiple ETRM source systems. They required reporting for different business units with a two-year history of daily results. The complexity posed design challenges for the solution.
Key Business Drivers:
- Protect the stakeholders of the company
- Provide assurance to regulatory agencies
- Adhere to internal policies
- Surface transaction anomalies before concerns arise
- Protect the company’s reputation
The MRE project team conducted a joint strategic study with the Chief Technology Officer including a Situation
Assessment and Strategy Selection, and built a Technology Roadmap.
The study was designed to identify key strategic decisions, conduct a competitor assessment, identify best practices and forecast capital requirements based on potential programs.
- Competitive Assessment – identified key software packages used by competitors for Retail Operations
- SWOT Assessment – assessed current technology functionality, in-flight and planned projects
- Technology Roadmap – created scenarios based on key strategic decisions, including spend and confidence levels
Executive Team received a clear assessment of the technology platform and the next decisions required to build a leading edge platform.
- Identified tradeoffs between $10M and $7M programs to empower the business to understand the impact of technology decisions.
- The company was able to leverage the study to communicate the Technology Roadmap and their plans for retail operations.
- The retail energy provider was acquired by a competitor for $300 MM.